Join Our Team as a Mechanic I and Secure Your Future with the City of Columbia, Missouri
Are you ready to jumpstart your career as a Mechanic I with one of the most dynamic and thriving cities in the heart of Missouri? The City of Columbia is looking for individuals who are not only highly motivated but also dependable, ready to provide top-notch maintenance and repair services for our diverse fleet of vehicles and equipment.
Why Choose Us?
- Competitive Starting Salary: Commencing at a minimum of $22.47 per hour
- Additional Shift Differential: Earn an extra $1.00 per hour for all hours worked from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am
- Comprehensive Allowances: Receive an annual allowance of $1,000 for tool replacement, $336 for jeans, $50 for winter outerwear, $175 for safety boots, and $50 for any required eye protection
- Uniform Work Shirts Provided: We've got you covered with all your uniform work shirts
- Outstanding Employment Benefits: Enjoy one of the best employment benefit packages in the state
Your Role and Responsibilities As a Mechanic I with the City of Columbia, you will be responsible for maintaining and repairing our vehicles and equipment to ensure they are in safe, working condition. Your essential duties will include servicing, diagnosing, and conducting motor vehicle inspections. You'll also be recording and maintaining accurate records while adhering to safety protocols and procedures. We'll count on you to assist fleet personnel and other departments as needed, all while staying up-to-date with the latest technology. Regular attendance is a vital aspect of this role.
Qualifications We're Looking For
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-year technical degree or three years of journey-level experience in vehicle repair and maintenance
- Licenses or Certifications: Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with no airbrake restriction within 6 months of hire, Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certification, Missouri Motor Vehicle Inspector License, and Refrigerant Recovery and Recycling Equipment Certification
Your Skills and Abilities In this role, you'll be expected to have a solid grasp of standard practices in the automotive and mechanical trades, welding, fabrication, and safety protocols. You should excel at problem recognition, analysis, and solution, with strong verbal and written communication skills to meet various audience needs. Your ability to actively listen and ask questions for understanding will be a key asset. You'll need to read and understand hydraulic and electrical diagrams, maintain detailed and accurate records, and effectively use and maintain hand and power tools. Safety is a priority, and your ability to work in a constant state of alertness is essential.
Physical Demands and Work Environment This position involves frequent exposure to challenging environmental conditions and hazards. The majority of your work will take place outside or involve exposure to risk. You may be required to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly when moving objects. Your role will require attributes like feeling objects, grasping tools, pushing shop equipment, standing to service heavy equipment, walking, driving, reaching with hands/arms to make repairs, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling to inspect vehicles, and moving up and down from/to a sitting position on the floor to work under vehicles. Your role demands clarity of vision, three-dimensional vision, the ability to identify/distinguish colors, and precise hand-eye coordination for visual inspections and following wiring diagrams.
Why Us? At the City of Columbia, we're committed to providing equal opportunities for all individuals. We're proud to be a merit-based, affirmative action, equal opportunity employer for all genders. Our pre-employment drug testing ensures a safe and inclusive work environment, and we actively participate in the federal E-Verify work authorization program.
Join Our Team and Build Your Future! If you're looking to join a dynamic and inclusive work environment, where your skills and dedication are valued, we want to hear from you. Apply by the deadline of December 2, 2023, and take the first step toward a fulfilling career with the City of Columbia, Missouri.
To request accommodations during the application process, call 573-874-CITY (2489). TTY: 711 (MO RELAY).
Discover the opportunities awaiting you and start your journey with us today!